IMG_7316 (1)

Healthy Chocolate Pudding

on February 4 | in Desserts, Food, Recipes, Valentine's Day | by | with 12 Comments

IMG_7314

To kick off our week-long chocolate theme here at FOLK, I wanted to share a sweet little guilty pleasure…but without the guilt.

IMG_7316Now I must warn you – please keep an open mind about this one.  If you haven’t heard of avocado chocolate mousse before, you might just keep on going (and understandably so), missing out on something truly delicious.  When I first heard of this dessert, my thoughts were along the lines of ‘leave the guacamole for the nachos’…

IMG_7301As you might know, avocados are full of healthy goodness.  They are loaded with nutrients such as fibre, potassium, Vitamin E, Vitamin B and folic acid to name a few.  They also act as a nutrient booster by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients such as beta-carotine, which are vitamins stored in the liver and fatty tissues.  Because they are eliminated slowly, they pose a greater risk for toxicity.

IMG_7303Many of us don’t associate chocolate with a slim waistline, but cocoa is loaded with antioxidants which protect the body from cellular damage.  In fact, cocoa has more antioxidants than most foods tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, black and green tea (more than 4 times the amount of green tea).  I’m of course talking about dark chocolate.

IMG_7304There are many sugar alternatives such as Sucanat, raw honey, 100% maple syrup, Stevia drops etc.

IMG_7314

Ingredients – Healthy Chocolate Pudding recipe

2 medium ripe avocados
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 cup of honey, raw agave nectar or other sweetener of choice
1/2 cup of coconut milk or almond milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
dark chocolate for garnish

In a blender or food processor, blend avocados until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients – except for the dark chocolate – and mix.  Scoop onto bowl and chill for at least half an hour.  Garnish with dark chocolate, berries and enjoy this guiltless pleasure…:)

If you wish, you can also top it with some coconut whip (go here to see the recipe).

You won’t notice the taste of the avocado, but the smooth and creamy texture of this dessert will make you want to make it over and over again.

If you try this dessert, I would love to know your thoughts.

I hope you can join us tomorrow when Heather shares another chocolate inspired creation.  Have a great day!

profileend2again

12 Responses to Healthy Chocolate Pudding

1. Lynne says:

ok, i have all the ingredients. gonna try. i will let you know, i am diabetes 2 and really miss chocolate at times. thanks for the recipe.

2. What an interesting recipe! I can’t wait to hear what folks think…I hope you’ll share!

3. That’s so cool! I can totally see how the avocado would work in this case! Pinned it to my Eating Clean board! Great job, Lucy!

4. Lizz says:

wow sounds crazy! I hate avocados but want the health benefits maybe this is the way… lets see what Lynne comes back and says ;)

This is Delish! I am going to give this a try. I can see how the avocados can give this a creamy texture. Lovely!

6. I just bought 2 avocados and didn’t make guacamole.. so I am going to make this! I’ll keep you posted! Very cool Lucy!

7. I have just, in the last two years, become very fond of avocados, tossing a couple into my grocery basket every week. Now, I have just got to try this recipe! Very intriguing and thanks for sharing.

8. This is such an interesting combo. I happen to have some avocados but no coconut or almond milk. May give it a try with regular milk. Would you say this make 4 servings?

9. Valarie says:

At first I recoiled but then I tried it. So delicious!!! Thank you for such a great healthy recipe!

10. Grace says:

Just tried making these. Even with barely ripe avocados it was surprisingly delicious! There was a slight taste of avocados but it was so fresh! I keep looking for foods and desserts that won’t make me feel ‘heavy’ afterwards and this is perfect!

11. Leslie says:

I made this as a treat on Valentine’s Day and it was delicious! I found it to be very rich and couldn’t finish my serving. It was almost like a chocolate mousse or ganache in its texture after it chilled for a while. Loved the coconut cream topping, too!

12. Connie says:

We tried this while visiting my parents. It was made with honey for the sweetener, but was still quite bittersweet. I’m wondering if adding a very ripe banana (or half of a banana) would put it to being closer to milk chocolate for taste.