Funky-Junk-hearts-008-625x416

Won’t you be my rustic little valentine?

on January 31 | in Artisans, Crafts, Decor, DIY, Gift Ideas, Interior Decorating, Lifestyle, Tutorials, Valentine's Day | by | with 21 Comments

Be My Rustic Little Valentine - make seasonless hearts for all year around. By Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's blog

If I told you this decorator doesn’t generally decorate for most special occasions (other than Christmas), would that surprise you?

I have a method to my madness. When seasons change or special occasions come upon us, I  leave everything in place as is, then add tiny additions to marry the theme. It’s less work and allows me to keep what I put out pretty much year around.

So, what does a junker type do for Valentine’s Day anyway you ask? Generally, not very much! My home is decked out pretty rustic with ladders and pallet wood furniture and such, so pink jewelled hearts don’t really fit in. However, here’s my own spin on some rustic little valentines you’ll want to leave out all year around!

How to make non traditional, non seasonal rustic hearts… for Valentine’s Day! (maybe)

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

1. Start out with any decorating materials you desire, that chime in well with your year around decor.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

2. Cut freehand hearts out of corrugated cardboard. The more random, the better! No two are alike here.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

3. Get a feel for which materials will cover which hearts.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

4. Hot glue materials onto the cardboard hearts.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

5. Trim edges of materials with scissors where desired.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

Tip: The button heart should have been painted first, so I just dabbed on a little ivory toned paint in between the glued on buttons.

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

Can you guess what kind of string this is? If you guessed mop head, you would be right!

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

6. Take note where thicker edges may need extra help. (who knew a mop could look so cute?)

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

Aren’t they adorable?

Rustic valentines, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's Blog

I chose to place them in random areas to add a subtle valentine’s message here and there.

Will I take them down after Valentine’s Day? No way! I love them!

Now I can’t wait! I think this seasonless decorator may try again for… what’s next?!

Are you a subtle decorator or do you go all out?

Donna via Funky Junk Interiors' profile

Visit my other posts on FOLK’s blog HERE.

New here? Welcome! Check out what FOLK Magazine is all about HERE.

21 Responses to Won’t you be my rustic little valentine?

1. Debbie says:

Wow, these are so cute! I love them, and love that they look rustic instead of the red/pink normally seen at Valentine’s.
    Debbie :)

2. Anne says:

So cute Donna! LOVE this organic look!And yes keep those beautiful creations out and enjoy them after Valentines day I would!
    xx
    Anne

3. LOVE!!!! And I don’t blame you for not wanting to give them away…they’re DARLING. Besides, you should hang onto them…they’d make fabulous Christmas ornaments too! xo

4. Mary says:

That is why I don’t decorate for Valentines day. I am not a pink, red and lace type of decorator. I love your hearts! Now can you make me some shamrock shaped ones for St. Patrick’s day?

5. Joani says:

Awesome. Love the idea. Thanks for sharing.

6. Pat says:

Donna! I love these!
    They’re definitely YOU!

Pat

7. Débora says:

Really beautiful !
    D.

8. Meegan says:

Oh oh Oh!! Love the button and moss hearts!! You are so creative Donna!! Love this post!!

9. Rachel says:

These are adorable! Glittery pink hearts don’t work in my home either, but these cuties would be perfect. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I do go all out for my #1 decorating holiday, Halloween, then #2 Christmas. :-)

10. Mindi says:

These are amazing! I love them!

11. Deborah says:

Love! I think I might do some of these today! Shared on facebook and pinterest. Have a good one and stay warm!

Deborah

12. Grace says:

Oh my stars, they’re so cute, I could just pinch them! Your creative Valentine hearts are so precious, and so easy to make, that even I can craft them! Thank you so much for sharing your unique and wonderful talents.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    Grace

13. I am in love with all of them. What a wonderful idea!!! :)

14. Carol Rickard says:

Pretty, pretty! And easy to do, prim, and rustic.

15. Pendra says:

If I did decorate for Valentines Day this would be my style! These are rustic at it’s finest…love the bark one, I would never, ever had thought of that and it’s my favorite!! I have a candy dish with some valentine candies…that’s my speed! Sad, so sad!
    Hugs,
    ~Pendra

16. Joanie says:

Hi Donna, You are so creative…I just love your warming hearts…..great use of textures…..You think so out of the box….. I just love visiting you at your second home to see what kind of ideas I can incorporate into my home and my twist.. So cute, thanks!

17. I love these!!! I can’t wait to try and make some for my house! (You’re right, never take them down!)

18. Emilou says:

These are great Donna. I have hearts made from paper bags, (some I painted red and some are paper bag brown, I agree with your idea of cardboard as it is firmer), that I bring out and that stay out for months. I love red so, I don’t mind my “red hearts” out and about through various holidays. Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas, and ack!!! I did recognize the mop head. Wonderful post. Blessings and smiles, :-)

19. Amycha says:

These are so subtle and pretty with an awesome mix of textures. I wouldn’t want to take them down, OR give them away either!!

20. Nancy D says:

These are awesome! I’m going to be making a few of them for the special Valentines in my life! I also have a birds nest I found a couple of years ago. I think a couple of these rustic hearts tucked in it would be sweet!

21. Bridgette says:

I am usually anti-Valentine’s. Period. My decorating style is small for little holidays. All my candles suddenly are pink in February and that seems to be plenty, already. I don’t do a lot of color. I like the white base I have well established in all my rooms.

This year I’m having an unexplained attack of PINK. I’ve been paralyzed till I found your site. This is exactly my speed. You’ve saved me from my pink problem. This is sooooOo perfect for my minimalist father’s Valentine. He won’t be plagued with pinkness. Thank you for this. You are brilliant!