More than just a walk - nature as art via Funky Junk Interiors featured on FOLK Magazine's blog

Not just a walk – art through nature

on January 4 | in Lifestyle | by | with 53 Comments

I knew what was coming. It was freezing outside! But once the sunshine finally cleared the mountains and my second coffee was down, I knew it was now or never.

Being cautious to avoid an official resolution I’d only break, I gave it as little thought as possible as I grabbed my warmest coat, fuzziest hat, keys, cellphone, pet my purring cat, then out the door I went.

Puffs of icy mist circled around my face as I caught my breath… yikes! It was colder than I thought! Quickly returning into the warmth of my home, I ran upstairs to grab an extra hoodie, double layered my jacket, then off I went again.

This dislike for walking, especially in the cold, was NOT going to stop me!  My teeth chattered as I picked up the pace in an attempt to warm up.

My thoughts raced quickly over, “These resolutions are for the birds! Who actually keeps all these fabulous promises they make?! Ha, not me! This stuff never lasts! How long until I loose interest again?”

“Postive, postive, stay postivie… I can do this,” I coached myself. Then I wiped the internal battle from my mind, and started to see with eyes wide open.

Focusing on what was before me, my eyes started to take in every nook and cranny, viewing nature as art, instantly regretting that I hadn’t brought my camera. “Yeah, I’ll just bring it for tomorrow’s walk.”

Woa… did I just make a promise to myself to ‘enjoy’ this all over again?

Well, not only did I make good on that promise, I looked FORWARD to it! The next day, my camera came along for the ride, but instead of just one walk, I pulled off TWO. And know what? The second walk was even better than the first.

See, I use to be an avid walker. It’s like riding a bike. Anyone can do it. It’s just that the more you do it, the easier it gets.

So why walk? What exactly does it do for me?

Endorphines

Not only does it get easier, once the endorphins kick in, look out! It’s like drinking 3 strong coffees in one fell swoop. That natural high can last you an entire day.

Problem solver

Walking is a wonderful mind clearer. If you’re mentally attempting to work something out or the noise in your head is just too great, get out for a brisk walk. Keep moving until you resolve the issue, or allow yourself a timeout and listen to the crunch of the gravel instead. It really works!

How does one keep it up? There must be a trick!

Set a destination

An actual destination will help keep you honest. Whether it’s walking to the bank, or promising yourself a glimpse of your favourite area, reaching point B becomes imperative and you’re less likely to cheat.

Take a dog

I lost my beloved dog this summer, and just know, it’s easier when a dog is panting at the front door as a reminder. So, take your dog if you have one. Or borrow a neighbour’s. It’s just more fun.

Consider a paper route

My son took over a neighbour’s paper route last summer for a week and wow, that was a real walk. But getting paid to walk?! What a concept! I really missed it when we were done. (even if my son didn’t)

Make it fun!

If you’re a picture buff, bring your camera, and take some shots as you come across pretty landmarks. It puts the joy back into a mundane task when you incorporate something that you love doing.

How vigorous?

I did a bit of reading, and stats say, in order to feel the most benefits from a walk, to walk at least 150 minutes a week, 10 minutes minimum at a time. You should ‘feel warm’, and be able to talk, but not sing. Interesting! Obviously picture taking slows the pulse down, so maybe walk harder and quicker after stopping.. (which is what I do!)

So what did I discover? Come along with me!

Icy leaves turning black, except for the golden chosen one.

Abundant evergreen trees, towering higher than a house.

Rusty relics, further gloriously rusting.

An aborted orchard, waiting for it’s next assignment.

Neighbour Janette, working a bottle drive. In the cold. For a good cause.

Festive holly and berries… why did I find this bush after Christmas?!

Tangled branches, in all their leafless glory.

Weathered mailboxes, waiting for a visit.

New trails, yet to be discovered. (when it’s not so cold!)

Do you see what I see?

Gorgeous, natural, nature as art. Now wasn’t that the best walk ever?

The beautiful part about walking is, most anyone can do it at nearly any age. You’ll find your endurance will increase, your mood will enhance, and you’ll let go of things that use to bother you much more easily.

Plus, who can say no to a pretty picture or two? I sure can’t!

Are you also a walker? How do you manage to keep your exercise enjoyable?

Donna aka Funky Junk Interiors' bio on FOLK Magazine's blog

53 Responses to Not just a walk – art through nature

1. Donna,

You’re absolutely right! Everyone can enjoy a walk! Beautiful pictures…and a nice story too! Isn’t a walk just the most amazing thing in the world. One wouldn’t believe how many of my problems in life have been solved on a country road! ~Tammy

2. Débora says:

Beautiful pics…

3. Lynne says:

It is amazing to me how I can walk at the gym or on the treadmill, but actually outside in nature, I cringe at the idea. When I was a child, and was having one of those ugly days/my grandmother would give me three choices : “Take a nap, move your bowels or take a walk-you will feel better”. I usually chose the walk. Her advice probably holds true for my adult self/have to admit the first two usually win out! lol.

4. Donna, enjoyed taking your morning walk with you! I find beauty in rust and mundane objects, too. But the cold weather is keeping me indoors right now. You may have inspired me to brave the cold and join Leo on his morning walks with our dog!

5. Mary says:

Thanks for sharing your walk! I love my walks, too. I started walking to get fit physically, but walking does just as much, if not more, for my mental health. To keep me motivated and moving, I listen to an audio book (from Audible) on my iPod while walking — in addition to having a destination. If I want to hear the next chapter, then I’ve got to get out and walk! I really like your idea, Donna, of taking a camera along. Your photography is gorgeous and inspiring!

6. Dawn says:

Donna, I walk my dog 6 miles everyday, but always follow the same dirt road. Where Im from I would have to load the dog up to hit a different route. I live in Michigan so we have the every changing weather and I do take pics of my walk when there is fresh snow, or the Autumn leaves are falling. Loved your picture show today!

7. Arcia says:

with 4 days off each week and my camera as my constant companion, I took the most incredible shots. Some that I may never get a chance to see again. Raging brooks from hurricanes,birds of prey swooping into the river for fish. A bear next to my car, a moose in my dooryard, my grandson discovering something in nature for the first time. And it is all free if one takes the time to walk.

8. Franziska says:

Hi Donna,

very beautiful! I used to walk a lot especially with my Mom, we used to take our cameras too. Since I moved from Germany to the Dallas suburbs I stopped walking because I live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood and don’t find it very inspiring to go outside… or to get hit by a truck…

Your photos are soo beautiful, my favorite’s the one with the golden leave on the icy background. We’ll be moving to Oregon this year and I see myself back to walking again and exploring! (and taking photos!)

Instead of walking, I dance at home now with my pandora app :)

Franziska

9. Lorrie says:

Donna, so enjoyed walking with you this morning! Love your photos~

10. Kathryn says:

How gorgeous! I love love love to walk as well but never thought of bringing along my camera. What an inspiring post!

11. Jackie says:

Love the richness and rusticness of your photos!

Perhaps I may take a walk (after my knee heels from chasing my dog)!!

12. beautiful photos!
    we have been walking everyday for about a week now. Me, kids, dog. It’s just me and the dog today – everyone else is skiing. Will I still go?

13. Wyona wevers says:

Wonderful idea….get your mind on the beauty of God’s creation and off the idea of “I hav to go for a walk to get my steps in”. Walk while you can….at 82, spinal stenosis keeps me from walking and I really like the idea of taking the camera because you just might get a picture you’ll want to paint, some day

Absolutely LOVE this post Donna! The photos, the insights and everything in between! :-)

15. rosa says:

Beautiful pictures Donna! You are making me homesick. I think maybe it’s time to call Tamara and see if see would like a visit from her big sister! ; D

16. Oh, man these photos are just GORGEOUS, Donna! They make me wanna go on a photo walk about my neighborhood!

17. You should host a “Walkabout” SNS in a month so we can all share our photos! :)

18. Jayne says:

Love your photos! I walk down by the CT river and take my iPhone and love to take pics. Once I get warmed up, takes about 5 minutes, it’s just exhilarating!

19. Donna says:

I walk w/ my Ipod – sometimes music, but mostly recordings of my marketing coach on how to make my business better. I always carry clippers to snip leaves, branches & flowers to bring home. Multi-tasking – biz improvement, body fitness, mental clarity and home beautification – all at the same time!

20. Amy says:

Beautiful pics!! We live in the same town too! It’s quite photogenic eh?

21. Eva Gorman says:

Such a wonderful post. Thank you!!! I normally walk every morning before work. I get up at 5:30 am, and I’m out the door by 5:45 returning around 6:25 or so. But for the past two weeks I’ve been hit with a awful cold. I didn’t think I’d actually ever say this but oh how I miss my morning walks and can’t wait until my cold is gone!

22. Deb Sacksteder says:

That was downright inspiring! I make starts at regular walking, but it rarely lasts long. It seems so BORING! I just do it to get it over with. I think this might help… a bunch! I thoroughly enjoyed your photos and would love discovering my own shots. By golly, I’m gonna do it! Thank you, Donna, for this fresh perspective!

23. karen says:

No one can make a big long haul truck and a huge clump of rusty chains look as beautiful as you did. I could almost smell all the freshness as you walked past some of those beautiful trees. Thanks for the little mini vacation, I needed that. Wow, amazing how much your walk refreshed me, and I didn’t even move on my kitchen bench! I am (and was already) planning more walks with my 4 legged friend this year. We both need to be outside, and exercising inside is just not the same mind clearer as a good vigorous walk. I am sorry about your sweet dog. I bet you miss him every day. Thanks as always for sharing your talent. -K

24. [...] Donna’s beautiful scenic walk through nature ,come home and create this quick, healthy, and full-filling meal for the total euphoric [...]

25. Vickie Meinen says:

Wallking is my fair weather friend. I know I should be more loyal….. In warmer weather I walk during my lunch break, but being a highly industrial area with no sidewalks, winter walking is quite dangerous. And at home, I’m not a fan of walking in the dark, which is the only time I”m home during the week in winter.

I did think to take my camera with me in the fall when the leaves were at their most brilliant. Now that I have my music on an ipod touch, I’ll have to pay more attention the rest of the year and snap more shots. It takes as good of pictures as my point and shoot camera.

Thanks for the incentive!

26. Kim says:

Love all your pics, Donna! I love to see the beauty and the intricacies of every day places and things. Nothing like a photograph to capture them! Thanks for sharing!!

27. shari says:

A daily walk is a ritual I’ve enjoyed for years! It IS that much more pleasurable when I tote along the camera. I am in serious lust for the journey you took us on. Beautiful images! Thank you for the ride-along!

28. Kim Felton says:

I’m so very glad that I did more than just cruze the first sentense of this post. I would have missed the point, I loved our perspective on getting out getting moving and enjoying it. Thank you for a wonderful read.

29. Pat Cecil says:

I went walking out in my woods yesterday, something I haven’t done for months. As of this past Friday, I do not have to report to work 5 days a week and vowed to stay physically active. Taking a camera along has not only motivated me but excites me to get going!

30. Donna Code says:

Thanks for sharing your picture trail with us. I walk most mornings; before work; with our dog. I bundle up against the cold and go rain (or in our case, lots of snow) or shine. It helps clear my head and aids my body with aches and pains. I am inspired now to take my camera and perhaps an audiobook with me.

31. [...] Donna’s beautiful scenic walk through nature, come home and create this quick, healthy, and fulfilling meal for the total euphoric [...]