ToolBoxandCrateChristmasTreecopy2_thumb

Welcome Finding Home…our Holiday Feature Winner!

on December 17 | in Decor, DIY, Guest Contributors, Holidays, Home, Interior Decorating, Uncategorized | by | with 17 Comments

Tool Box and Crate Christmas Tree copy 2

We are so honored to have Laura, of Finding Home and the winner of our Holiday Link Party Contest, with us today here at the FOLK Magazine Blog!

Laura’s blog is a reflection of her style.  A mix of vintage and traditional, with a little modern thrown in.  At Finding Home, Laura shares ways to help us our homes a reflections of ourselves and our families but more importantly Laura’s beautiful spirit shines through in all that she does! Please join us in giving her a warm welcome!

Hello! I am Laura and welcome to my little world where I am always on the journey towards Finding Home. I am so excited to be here today at Folk and so appreciative that my project was chosen for today’s post – thank you!

Toolbox and Crate Christmas Tree from Finding Home rs

In order for me to share the story of my toolbox tree, I must first admit something – I am a sentimental girl. I am always searching for vintage treasures, but my favorites all have a sentimental attachment. This is especially true with this project.

Tool Box and Crate Christmas Tree copy 2

When I was growing up, my Grandfather was so important to me and took a very big part of raising me. In all of the craziness that sometime existed in my childhood, he was someone who always stopped, sat with me, talked with me and listened to what I had to say.

Me and Grandpa wm

When he passed away, my Grandmother wanted to move to be close to all of us so almost of their belongings were quickly sold. At the age of 15, I had not yet developed my love for all things vintage – so I was not the voice of reason asking for things to be saved. One of the few items we still have is his wooden toolbox.

Tool Box Tree Close Bracket copy 2

Unfortunately, I do not have that one- it is still with my Mom. But my desire for that toolbox created a love affair with all types of vintage toolboxes. I have been collecting all types for years at yard sales, vintage shops and estate sales. They are dispersed throughout my whole home.

Tool Box Tree in Entry 2

This fall, while organizing a room, I placed one on top of another to make some space, and then I placed a third one on top – and an idea was born.

Tool Box Tree Above View copy 2

A sentimental Christmas tree – toolboxes stacked upon each other, topped with a globe.

Tool Box Tree Globe Star 2

And it fits perfectly with my style, traditional mixed with vintage, and sometime a little modern pop thrown in. But what I love most – and why I was drawn to each of these toolboxes, is the incredible character in each of them.

Toolbox Tree Stack Close Up 2 copy

When someone takes the time to carve their name by hand, it is obviously a treasure that was important to them.

Tool Box Tree Red Toolbox 2

And now I am trying to pay tribute to the stories behind each of them, pay tribute to the memories of my Grandfather and bring a unique Christmas tradition to our home.

Thank you so much for allowing me to share my story and my project with you all. Wishing you a family filled Holiday Season!

Laura

(Photo Credit: Erin Witkowski | Eve’s Wish Photography)

Be sure to visit Laura at her blog, Finding Home, it’s full of many more fabulous holiday projects like this one!

The Folk Contributors Team

17 Responses to Welcome Finding Home…our Holiday Feature Winner!

1. Lisa Jochim says:

Fabulous Laura! Thanks for Sharing!!!

Lisa

2. Am in love with this tree – and the story behind it. Here’s to rescuing things from the past and putting them to new use.

3. Laura says:

Love the look! I’ve seen suitcases stacked, but really like the idea of toolboxes. When you can tie in love of personal history into a project, that project takes on a life of its own.

4. Laura, I love, love this Christmas tree, so unique and special. And I loved the story behind your collection. Family is so important to us and I think we appreciate them more, the older we get. That is one cute vintage tree!

5. Love this! I, too, am a sentimental girl with a love for her grandfather’s toolboxes and tools. What a cool way to display your found treasures and keep their memories alive!

6. Heather says:

Love this idea of using toolboxes to create a tree! It’s all the more special that your Grandfather’s toolbox is a part of your holiday traditions!

7. Paula Carli says:

Wonderful sentimental journey Laura. We used to have a very large tool box as our coffee table, it was strong, you couldn’t hurt it and it had great storage and compartments on the inside. When we started to have grandkids, the tool box went to garage to make way for a softer-edged coffee table. I might just dust it off and bring it back now that they are not babies any longer. Thanks for a great story.

8. LUCY says:

one of the sweetest ladies in the blogging community…thank you Laura for sharing your Christmas beauty with us…xo

9. Trina Miner says:

Yay, Laura! My Christmas wish came true! I knew when I first saw this that it would be picked! So happy for you!

10. I love it. I live for nostalgia! Not only is it clever decor that makes you sit and stare a while, but I love the story behind it!

11. Laura, your stacked suitcases immediately caught my eye! Congrats on winning the link party last month and being a guest blogger! You deserve it!

12. Courtenay says:

I’ve been seeing this everywhere! It’s absolutely stunning!

13. I have two old toolboxes I rescued from our neighbor who used them when he was a typewriter repair man … now, I’ll keep an eye out for more so I can make something inspired by your tree! Beautiful and sentimental – I love it!

14. Shannon Fox says:

Such a beautiful post from Laura. I loved the story behind the treasures and the reason she collects. It was a real treat to get the back story on her wonderful creation!!

15. I love Laura’s blog and that Christmas “tree” is fantastic! Thanks for showcasing such a deserving blogger!

Laura the toolbox tree is fantastic but it is your words and how much your heart comes through in this post that is really so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us today!

17. Wendy says:

The stories behind our “stuff” are so important! What a wonderful example of honoring your heirlooms! Love it!