Spinach Bites 2

Savory Spinach Bites

on December 15 | in Appetizers, Baking, Cooking, Entertaining, Food, Holidays, Recipes, Sides, Snacks | by | with 24 Comments

When it’s time to have guests over for the holidays, my kitchen transforms into a culinary whirlwind of hearty, caloric, buttery and sugary treats I’ve been waiting to indulge in since last Christmas. In my family, celebrating the holidays typically involves delicious food that, let’s face it, too often results in health-themed New Year’s resolutions.

I first tried this recipe from my sister-in-law a few years ago and ever since then it’s become a staple in my house, especially when it comes to entertaining. These spinach bites are more often than not the first dish finished at the holiday buffet – and that’s usually thanks to my nieces and nephew. I guess when you add a little butter, cheese and stuffing mix, kids don’t mind eating their vegetables!

Savory spinach bites are the best of both worlds – a bit of nutritional value and scrumptious enough to compete with the rest of the holiday menu.

Do you have a go-to recipe for holiday entertaining?

Savory Spinach Bites

2 (10 oz.) packages of spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
1 large onion, diced
4 eggs
3/4 cup of butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix

Cook spinach and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. In a large bowl, mix spinach with the rest of the ingredients. Chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Shape into balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-22 minutes. You can serve immediately or freeze the cooked spinach bites. When you’re ready to serve, reheat in the oven until warmed through.

24 Responses to Savory Spinach Bites

1. Jennifer Evans says:

I can not wait to try this! Thank you!

2. amy says:

mmmm….I bet these are amazing!

3. Jennifer Langford says:

Love these so much! They are great to cook and freeze too. Then just reheat when ready to serve.

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

I’m making another huge batch tomorrow! I intended to freeze the ones I made for this post, but they ended up all getting eaten. :)

4. Kelly Eclectically Vintage says:

You should have named these “Amaze Balls”!

5. Shawn Johnson says:

Oh boy Sarah these look so yummy, going to have to try these for sure. But, I was just wondering one thing, do you prepare the stuffing mix before you mix it in or do you just use it dry? I know lol probably a silly question right? Just wondering because I want them to look as yummy as yours!

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Just put the stuffing mix in dry. Definitely not a silly question! With the eggs and the butter, there’s enough liquid in the recipe so you don’t need to do anything to the stuffing mix. Hope you enjoy it!

6. Els Manning says:

Will try these! They look yummy!

7. git says:

Looks yummy…any other substiitute for eggs?

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

I’ve never used anything to replace the eggs in this recipe, but you could probably find an egg replacer product, such as this one http://www.ener-g.com/egg-replacer.html, at your local health food store. I’ve never tried other ingredients as substitutes, but may have to experiment the next time I make this so I can better answer your question. Sorry I can’t give you a better answer, but I hope this helps a little! :)

8. sandy says:

Is the Seasoned Herb Stuffing Mix in a bag with bread or in a box with the “stove top” kind of stuffings? Having a hard time finding and not sure just what I’m looking for. Can’t wait to make these. Thanks

9. Sharon says:

These have been a family favorite for years! Sometimes you just don’t have the time to form all the little balls, so we spread the mixture in a 9 x 13 baking pan and cut them into squares after they have been baked.

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Great idea to bake them in a 9×13! I think I may try that next time. Thanks for sharing!

• Arlene says:

I wanted as a side dish, but didn’t want to put in a pan, I wanted the “ball” look. So I used an ice cream scoop & muffin pan. If level off, makes 12 perfect sized large balls.

10. Shelagh says:

Is it okay to prep the mixture and refrigerate for 24 hours before baking?

11. Christine says:

These sound real good but four eggs seems like a lot. What’s the yield on this recipe (or did I miss it)? Looking forward to trying these out!

12. [...] “start” I made these really cute spinach balls. I cut this recipe in half, and I substituted feta for parm, because I love feta with spinach. I used a cookie scoop [...]

13. Amy says:

How many does one batch of these make? Thx