Hearty Lentil Soup

Hearty Red Lentil Soup

on December 7 | in Cooking, Dinner, Entertaining, Food, Friends & Family, Home, Lunch, Recipes | by | with 19 Comments

In the midst of the holiday craze, it’s sometimes hard to think about what to eat for a normal weeknight meal. My mind is often so focused on the baking, shopping, decorating and entertaining that I find myself scrambling around the kitchen right before dinner, only to realize that cookie dough and eggnog don’t exactly make a balanced meal.

This year, I’m attempting to be a bit more prepared — and soup is a great way to do that. Since it only takes about 30 minutes to make and stores well in the freezer, this hearty red lentil soup is the perfect weeknight meal during the holiday rush. Flavored with delicious spices like turmeric and chock-full of veggies, this soup is healthy enough that you won’t have to feel guilty sneaking in a few extra Christmas cookies for dessert.

What are some of your favorite weeknight meals to make during the holiday season?

Hearty Red Lentil Soup

1 (32 oz.) container vegetable broth
1 (16 oz.) package dried red lentils
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 (16 oz.) package frozen sweet corn kernels
2 (5 oz.) bags baby spinach
Torn fresh parsley, for garnish

1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add carrots, onions and garlic. Cook until tender.

2. When vegetables are tender, stir in the ginger, cumin and turmeric. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.

3. Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, lentils, 4 cups of water, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.

4. When the soup has started boiling, turn down the heat. Add in the frozen corn.

5. Let simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until lentils are tender.

6. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach.

7. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.

8. Serve and enjoy!

19 Responses to Hearty Red Lentil Soup

1. Tiffany | Offbeat & Inspired says:

This looks SO GOOD! I’m definitely going to try it.. One of my favorite weeknight meals during the holidays is chicken fajitas. I make a TON of brown rice and black beans and a TON of shredded chicken, store it in tupperware and pull it out in the evening for a quick reheat. The rest is just fixins.. salsa, avocado and sometimes I’ll cook up some green bell peppers. I like doing this bulk cooking over the weekend so I don’t have to do much on the weeknights. You’re so right about dinners taking a back seat to the holiday rush! It’s important to make a little extra effort to keep it healthy. This soup will be a perfect healthy “bulk” food!

2. I LOVE soup! I just never know how to wing it and make it on my own. These ingredients are going on my shopping list immediately. This looks positively delicious!! Thank-you! Gorgeous photos!

3. Oh my goodness! Love lentil soup and this recipe looks delicious…and gorgeous! Cumin…Turmeric…oh my! two of my favorites! Pinning this one for sure!

Heather

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Cumin and turmeric are becoming favorites of mine, too. I just recently started cooking more with those spices and I love it!

This sounds so wonderful Sarah! We’ve been eating a ton of soup lately and I’m ready for a new recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! :-)

5. Csilla says:

Oh I have the same thing going on here! Today I made some fabulous Christmas cookies that took half my day but then when it came to having a proper dinner, I realized we had almost nothing in the fridge! I would have loved this amazing soup of yours! I will be definitely making it this week! :)

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Glad to hear that I’m not alone in my dinner-forgetfulness during the holidays! I hope you enjoy the soup! :)

6. Lisa says:

Wow! Just made this for dinner! Thank you for the recipe! So incredibly delicious, filling, and comforting. Tomorrow I have a day of making candy houses, so I’ll certainly benefit from having this healthy soup again for dinner tomorrow after all of that sugar!

7. What a beautiful soup…sounds wonderful! I can’t wait to try it…thanks for sharing!

8. Allan says:

This morning I decided to make a soup with the bag of red lentils in my cupboard. Your recipe is the one I chose after reading three recipes from a google search. I am very happy that I did, I like the combination of herbs and veggies with the lentils. I look forward to having the leftovers, and I will probably make it again soon.

9. Beth B says:

Do you have any info on the calorie count? I am doing WW and trying to figure it out. Making it today!!

• Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Glad you’re making the recipe! Unfortunately, I didn’t keep track of the calories as I was tweaking the recipe. I’m sorry I couldn’t help you more with that, but I’ll definitely pay more attention to that in the future as I’m working on recipes!

10. Rashel says:

Im making this tonight and adding asparagas, ruby crescent potatoes n golden beets for extra heartiness! Mmmmm! I can’t wait to taste it! Love love love ursite! :-)