You guys, these DIY painted ornaments are my favorite. The best part? They only took me an episode of Parenthood to finish. Ok ok, PLUS the 10 minute crying break I had to take. That show…
Anyway, these ornaments are just so cute, easy, and cheap to make!
Right now I (along with everyone else) am a sucker for anything with gold on it, in it, around it, affixed to it…I’ve fallen hard for the gilded trend. Can you blame me? I’m not a bling person when it comes to fashion, but I can’t get over the glitzy home decor trend.
Do you want to make these? Great! I’ll show you how. I mean really, you could probably figure it out yourself, but hey….I took plenty of pictures for you!
Here’s what you need!
- Paint. Spray paint, acrylic paint, chalkboard paint…whatever kind of paint you want to use. You just go for it.
- Plastic animals! I thrifted some of these, but I found a few of them at Walmart as well.
- Some sort of adhesive. I used hot glue primarily, but a few of the animals wouldn’t stick very well, so I also used crafter’s adhesive.
- A paintbrush to get in those hard to reach places.
- Any kind of twine, embroidery floss, leather strips, etc. to attach to the ornament for hanging.
Ok, so now that you’ve gathered all your supplies, start painting. I mixed it up between white and gold, of course.
I haven’t done this yet, but i thought it would be neat to do half white and half gold paint on a few of them! You can even add glitter if you want. Go crazy!! (but, you know, have it on a cleanable surface unless you want to be picking glitter up until next Christmas)
After they’ve dried, fire up your hot glue gun! I was joking with a friend today about crafting, and how I should get a tattoo of 2 hot glue guns crossed..right on my shoulder. Well, only half joking. Part of me thinks that would be kinda cool….but then I thought about needles and broke out into a cold sweat.
Anyway. Cut a 2-3” strand of your thread, twine, etc. and add a drop of hot glue to the backside of the animal. I added mine more toward the top, so it would hang straight, but play with it. You’ll know where it needs to be.
Let the hot glue dry, and you’re done!! Seriously, how easy is that? These would make such cute gifts!! I’d love to know if you’ve made something similar, or plan on making these! Do you have any suggestions for me? Would LOVE to hear from you!