A leisurely walk through the hot spots of Franklin, Tennessee

on November 16 | in Artisans, Gift Ideas, Lifestyle, Shops, Travel, Uncategorized | by | with 24 Comments

A leisurely walk through the hot spots of Franklin, Tennessee - beautiful must haves and sights, by Funky Junk Interiors, featured on FOLK Magazine's blog

I recently had the chance to head down south near Nashville. For a cold blooded Canadian, this was an enormous treat!

A visit to Franklin via Funky Junk Interiors featured on FOLK

Once walking off the plane, I knew I was in for something very special. It’s funny… so many warned me about a wall of high humidity that would hit me square in the nose, so I was prepared to suffocate on the spot! Little did I know, those fears would go completely unfounded.

The pure magic of the area had me forgetting about the heat and left me thirsty for the amazing sights I was seeing and food I was trying. Catfish, hushpuppies, grits, cornbread, fried pickles, funnel cake, and that ever amazing sweet and fruit tea! How did I do?

Not to mention the junk! Folks of Tennessee do so love their junk. I felt immediately at home and was absolutely ravenous to see what was lurking behind each little corner.

Sandy gives Donna a tour of Franklin

Luckily, Sandy Leeper, a dear local gal that followed my blog, offered to take me for a tour. Friends, if you ever wish to tour a new place, ask a local. This girl knew the significance of every building, the country stars’ former homes and … you guessed it… where to find the good junk!

So we head to a quaint little town called Franklin and some nearby surrounding areas.  I was awestruck with the spotless streets and gorgeously kept historic brick buildings. Oh so many bricks! And to my utter delight, the inside of those buildings were even more fascinating.

Can you name these amazing stops? Let’s go for a walk through Franklin!

Short history:

The City of Franklin was founded October 26, 1799 and was named after Benjamin Franklin. For most of it’s first 180 years, Franklin was a tranquil, small county. But when the civil war broke out, The Battle of Franklin was one of the bloodiest battles, turning every home and building in town into a hospital.

It took 120 years for the county’s economy to reach pre-war levels. Today, Franklin is one of the wealthiest cities in one of the wealthiest counties in the United States. With a population of 62,000 and growing, it’s the 9th largest city in Tennessee.

You’ll find a unique blend of small town charm and big-city sophistication. Museums, shopping, victorian homes, and quaint quiet streets lined with musicians strumming guitars on a neighboring picnic table. In fact, one store I walked through, a musician helped himself to a guitar right off the wall and strummed for the shoppers. Pure magic!

I hope you enjoy my little tour of Franklin.

A visit to Franklin via Funky Junk Interiors featured on FOLK

This branch covered mirror made me gasp!

A visit to Franklin via Funky Junk Interiors on FOLK

A visit to Franklin via Funky Junk Interiors featured on FOLK

Pillows with sweet sayings and paper page designs… why did I leave them behind again?!

A visit to Franklin via Funky Junk Interiors featured on FOLK

Thank-you Sandy, for the incredible tour, and to Tennessee, for having the best junk! You both made this Canadian junker feel right at home, eh?

What’s a favourite must visit place in your area you love?

I’d love to hear about it!

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna's signature for FOLK Magazine's blog

24 Responses to A leisurely walk through the hot spots of Franklin, Tennessee

1. theboldabode says:

You are making me homesick! I grew up a hop, skip and a jump away from Franklin (well, Memphis actually, but it’s only a couple hours away). You’d fit right in down here in the junk-loving south!

Heading out this morning to Nashville, where we’ll spend the night on our way to my parents in Arkansas and then down to Tupelo,MS the birth place of the King. Now that is the real south down there!

Happy Friday!

2. Beverly says:

Wow! Great post, Donna. Thank you for sharing your tour. Your photos are wonderful, and you perfectly captured the spirit of this great town and the feeling of small town south.

3. Karen Christopherson says:

Wow, I wouldn’t want to leave there!

4. Solange says:

The pictures made my heart skip a beat! I hope to make friends with other bloggers as well, so when I travel I may have a friend to show me around! I live in an area where everyone buys new things and when it gets damaged or out of date they kick it to the curb….. I am so grateful for people who appreciate vintage and distressed and know the history behind something. It’s so hard to find antiques where I am so when I see places that are busting from the seems with them I melt

5. Maggie Cooper says:

Hi, How about Nashville Indiana for a visit. Actually all of Brown County has some pretty neat places to visit.

6. Tiffany | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Donna these photos are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have to visit there now. HAVE TO. Thanks so much for this gorgeous post!

7. I am so glad you got to visit the beautiful South. I have lived all over the South my entire life and I love it. I have actually been to Franklin and went through their shops. These photos make me want to get in my car and drive there right now. I might do it too. My bff lives near there. I really enjoy all your funky junk.

8. Kim says:

Franklin is my absolute favorite little town to visit. We stop there almost every time we go to our son’s in Nashville. I found the Winchester Antique Mall last time we went and brought home a couple of treasures.

9. Garth says:

I am dying to know the names of some of those shops! There were many things I found, that i must have. :) thank you!

10. Sarah | Offbeat & Inspired says:

Beautiful photos! I definitely need to take a trip down to Franklin!

11. Donna, you are just going to have to come south each summer! Franklin is a delightful town and your photos have really captured its uniqueness.

12. Ruth Barnes, Southern Junkers Group-Memphis, Tn. says:

Donna,

What an incredible adventure you had! Wow! Looks amazing! I have been to Franklin, not in a while, but it is enchanting. Thank you for the wonderful pictures and tour! Happy Holidays!

13. Holly says:

My heart has longed to visit Tennesse…we even tried to move to the area last year, but it wasn’t to be. Hoping to get there next fall and am looking forward to visiting Franklin. Even more so now that you’ve shared your visit!
    Thanks!

14. I was down south this summer and fell in love too. Now I’m itching to go to Franklin!

15. April says:

I live in Thompsons Station, just up the road from Franklin (5 min drive) – Great finds in spring hill and Columbia as well, I love this area!

Holly, we moved here from the West Coast last year, I had the Tennessee itch before I even visited, came to visit and HAD to move, so we did. I would do it all over again if I had to. Hope you get to come soon!

16. Elaine Hewitt says:

Enjoyed hearing you at Bella Rustica. Took a road trip with two girl friends back in time to my birthplace, Pulaski. Always longed to see the Milky Way farm while it was still bustling and beautiful, white fences gleaming but private back in my childhood. Was a beautiful day with a beautiful vibe. Backroad home down Lepers Creek and a stop in gorgeous little Lepers Fork near Franklin. Tennessee in the fall is the best. Gorgeous photos.

17. … [Trackback]…

[...] Find More Informations here: folklifestyle.com/2012/11/a-leisurely-walk-through-the-hot-spots-of-franklin-tennessee.html [...]…

18. Dawn says:

My husband and I visited Franklin this Summer…I am in LOVE with that town. I especially enjoyed a visit that we made to a wonderful shop, City Farmhouse. We bought too many things, there was barely enough room in the SUV for us to get back home to Florida! Thank you for this post and reminding me of wonderful Franklin, TN!

19. Dawn says:

My husband and I recently visited Franklin…I am in LOVE with that town. I especially enjoyed a visit that we made to a wonderful shop, City Farmhouse. We bought too many things, there was barely enough room in the SUV for us to get back home to Florida! Thank you for this post and reminding me of wonderful Franklin, TN!

20. Kate says:

Thank you so much for this beautiful post. I live in Orange County, CA. Recently my hubby and I traveled to Nashville for a hockey game. Then, a few months later for Blissdom the blogging conference. Although we had a WONDERFUL time both trips, I went back to Southern Californian life. About a month ago, I asked him out of the blue…what if moved our family to Nashville? I was surprised that he didn’t just say NO! We’ve chatted and settled on looking in Franklin. We have five children. We’re planning on taking our two oldest to come visit and just be sure in a month or two. I know the boys are going to fall in love with Franklin. I am already there….

I’m just nervous about not knowing a soul. But, I know the people are crazy friendly and that is going to take a little getting used to! LOL We certainly don’t have that here. The clerks in the stores don’t even feel the need to look at you and vocalize your total. They just stand there and look at you while you figure it out….

So thank you again for the gorgeous pictures and the history lesson!!!!

21. Joy says:

Thank you for sharing your trip to Franklin!
    My husband and I live in Southern California, we visited family in Franklin and immediately fell in love with it! We bought some land and will start building next year. I am looking forward to making friends and sharing the southern lifestyle with our neighbors.

@Kate….I too asked my husband about moving to Franklin and to my pleasant surprise he said yes. Franklin is a perfect mix of a great place for my husband and I retire, but also a great location for our kids to work and raise a family.

22. Becky Wheeler says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful thought and amazing photos of our home town! I came to Leipers Fork six years ago to visit a friend and knew that this is where I needed to live! I have name my homestead Epiphany Acres….it’s as if I were born here. Great people, great beauty.

23. [...] took a trip to Franklin as well. Check out her leisurely walk through the hot spots of Franklin HERE. What are you waiting for? Pack your bags, print a copy of the itinerary above, and we’ll [...]